Hi, Welcome to my blog, enjoy reading.
RSS

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Restaurant Week 2k12

Greetings!
Remember me? I know it's been awhile since my last post, but let's just say...i've been lazy busy..

So Restaurant week Jamaica started on Friday, November 9 and will end next Saturday, November 17...and usually, i'd be pretty exited about this...this year however, I have mixed feelings...I mean, why limit myself to a set menu where I will be forced to choose something that I don't necessarily want to eat just because it is "discounted", when I can just go to these same restaurants and choose something else that I do want, that costs the same price as that on the "discounted" menu?

For those of you reading, who are not in Jamaica, or even for those in Jamaica, who still don't get what all the fuss is about...the whole notion of restaurant week is to give persons a chance to go to a restaurant they have been dying to try out but due to overpriced menus financial constraints, they have not been able to do so...

So what happens during Restaurant Week is that participating restaurants are grouped in certain categories based on the type of food they serve and the ambiance as well. These restaurants create a set menu, which includes a three-course meal at a "heavily" discounted price. The prices are per person and does not include beverages, GCT and gratuities.

The categories include:
"Epicurean" (restaurants in this category are normally really expensive, but for a limited time (one wk, pre-selected meals will ONLY cost $3800 JMD per person),

"Delectable" (restuarants in this category are usually for persons feeling fancy/ for special occasions, pre-selected meals will only cost $3500)


"Savoury" (usually semi-affordable, and for this wk pre-selected meals will only cost $2200 )


"Tasty" (normally reasonably priced, for this wk, the price is $1600)


"Nyam and scram" ( good for take-out. This category offers a 30% discount on lunch combos)


My little problem with Restaurant Week is that I don't think the restaurants are prepared enough to deal with the crowd, and one would think they would be used to it by now (they have been doing it for years). When you go to dine at any of the participating restaurants during this week, the wait time is outrageous, in most cases, the food quality is not the greatest, and there is a great chance you may just receive the wrong order.

Also, I know that we are getting a discount, but the food portions that some restaurants dish out could not even fill a baby's stomach, even with the "three-course menu".

So why do I continue to support it? Well, because I use it as an occasion to dress up and have dinner with my friends. Why not make an event out of it? This year, however, I may just decide to choose one entre from the regular menu as opposed to the "three-course meal" that will leave my stomach growling from dissatisfaction.

For the epicurean, I'd suggest Strawberry Hill, simply because of the location, it may be less crowded than the others in that category. I have never been, but I have heard great reviews about the food...and if nothing else, the view is amazing.

For the delectable, I am recommending, for persons in and near to Montego Bay, The House Boat Grill. I have been there a couple times, and have never been disappointed with the food or the service. The setting is definitely very romantic as well. For persons in Kingston, I am recommending majestic, based solely on the reviews of my friends, and the location.

The savoury category was a bit more difficult for me to choose from, and not just because it had a lot more options, but because so many of my fav restaurants are in this category. I'm just going to make my suggestions...and just trust me on this one ok?
If you are in Montego Bay, I'm suggesting Robin's Prime Steakhouse,     Seahorse Grill and Napoli Ristorante.
For Ocho Rios, Evita's Italian, and for Kingston, Tamarind's Indian Cuisine.














In the tasty category, I'd recommend East Japanese, however, it may get a bit crowded, so if you're definitely looking for something Asian, you may try Fuji Express as well.



I also advise you to make reservations for the restaurant of your choice, asap, and definitely prepare to wait a good while to get served.

0 comments:

Post a Comment